10 Things to Know About Sweets Baseball
1. Returning Sweets outfielder Chance Kopacz collected 8 hits over the past 4 games for Campbellsville University of Kentucky. In last Saturday’s double header against Shawnee State of Ohio Kopacz went 5-7 at the plate including a double. Campbellsville won two-of-three over the weekend.
March 13, 2012: Season 3, Edition 4
2. Sweets fans will remember last year’s power hitter Zach Wentz of North Dakota State. His teammate at NDSU, Simon Anderson, will play in Walla Walla this season. Simon came in this weekend in the ninth to strike out two Yale University batters for a scoreless inning and his first win of the season. The NDSU Bison were in Florida for the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational to play seven games in eight days during the team’s annual spring break trip
3. Lefty Tyler Billen of Southwestern Oklahoma State came in on Saturday for 1.2 innings of relief, and got his first win of the season. SWOSU edged Southern Arkansas 2-1.
4. Catcher and first baseman Parker Morin of Utah had a productive weekend in Northern California. The incoming Sweets prospect had a hit in all 4 games this weekend against Santa Clara, Lehigh, San Jose State and Columbia.
5. Garrett Tygerson of Lewis-Clark State College pitched 2 innings in Friday’s 7-3 win over Simpson University. He struck out 3 batters in his sole relief appearance this weekend. Catcher and teammate Kevin Hawk drew a walk in Lewis-Clark’s 18-2 upset of Simpson on Saturday.
6. Ryan Cooper of U.C. Irvine had limited playing time this weekend as the Anteaters took 2-3 against BYU, but he is sporting a .364 average and a .564 slugging percentage.
7. Returning Sweets player Andrew Mendenhall drew a walk and scored a run in Oregon’s lone victory over the weekend. Oregon is 12-3 for the season and is nationally ranked. Mendenhall was selected year nationally as one of the top pro prospects in the West Coast League.
8. Speaking of national rankings, the Sweets are drawing on players from three nationally ranked teams. Baseball America ranks Oregon at #18 and UCLA at #20. The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association ranks Gonzaga and U.C. Irvine among its top teams.
9. Gonzaga centerfielder Alex Bonczyk singled and walked over the weekend but the Bulldogs were swept on the road in New Mexico. Next stop is Arkansas.
10. ESPN recently featured a photo of Sweets LHP Hunter Virant. Hunter is one of two current high school players who will play for the Sweets this summer before they start their college careers. Hunter was featured because he recently signed with UCLA for his freshman season. The Camarillo (Calif.) senior went 6-1 last year with a 1.54 ERA and 56 strikeouts in 50 innings.