Thank you for your interest in joing the Walla Walla Sweets staff for the upcoming season. The Walla Walla Sweets are currently looking for a Radio Play-by-Play/Communications Coordinator. If you are interested in employment for the summer of 2015, please check back with us in March when we will be looking to fill the following roles within our organization:
- Interns (8-10)
- Radio Play-By-Play/Communications Coordinator
- Box Office Ticket Agent
- Grill Master
- Manual Scoreboard Operator
Apply for this job
Application Deadline: March 15
Who we are: Walla Walla Sweets is a professionally operated baseball club in the West Coast League. It is led by a group of civic-minded individuals with strong ties to the Walla Walla region and to the game of baseball. The Walla Walla Sweets will strive to provide their fans, sponsors, business partners, and investors with the very best in competitive baseball and entertainment, including atmosphere, comfort, food & beverage, safety, competition, fun and value.
Who you are: You’re an enthusiastic and hard-working individual who is interested in a career in sports. You’re patient and experienced with customer service and able to multi-task for long periods of time. You work well with others and are willing to perform any task to help ensure a positive experience for fans at every Sweets game.
About the internship: The internship will start in late May and run through the middle of August. It will expose participants to many facets of behind-the-scenes operations of a professionally-run baseball team. Sweets interns will gain experience in the primary areas of sports business including: stadium operations; marketing; community relations; retail/merchandise sales; sponsorships; and ticket sales.
Additional Information: Interns from out of town who need assistance with housing for the duration of the internship may be placed with a host family. Additionally, students looking to earn college credit for this internship should speak with both their academic advisor and the Sweets staff to ensure all requirements for internship credit are met.
The Walla Walla Sweets, the West Coast League’s premier baseball and fan-experience franchise, seek a talented, driven, and team-oriented broadcaster to become the team’s play-by-play voice on the Walla Walla Sweets Radio Network. If you love baseball, have a talent for painting pictures on the air, and like the idea of working with a Front Office that is focused on quality customer service and winning championships—then you could be the next voice of the Sweets.
The Walla Walla Sweets broadcast all regular-season and playoff games live on-air, over the internet, and via mobile device. ESPN Walla Walla is our network partner, simulcast on 1490 AM and 100.1 FM, reaching over 50,000 local listeners in the Walla Walla Valley and into southeastern Oregon. We work on state-of-the-art broadcast equipment, on par with minor-league-standard broadcast facilities, in concert with a wonderful team of professionals from ESPN Walla Walla. Our new play-by-play voice is expected to take the broadcast helm at a minimum of 57 games in 2015—not including playoffs, or the All-Star Game. As team broadcaster, you will travel with the team throughout the beautiful Pacific Northwest—experiencing a professional and creative environment that is unmatched at the summer collegiate level. You will welcome guests and color commentators into the booth, and seamlessly weave their dialog into action on the field. Our goal is to have you recognized as the top voice talent in the WCL – and there are many great ones.
The Sweets have a long history of deploying the most sophisticated broadcast and integrated communications platform in the WCL—and we expect that tradition to continue. In addition to play-by-play responsibilities, this position comes with the title of Media Relations & Communications Coordinator—working side-by-side with the General Manager to develop pre-season/in-season/post-season content for print, digital, and video platforms. This position also works closely with Front Office personnel to enhance the team’s social media experience, by regularly contributing on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest and others. As the in-season media relations contact—you will be responsible for press release creation/distribution, and the fielding of all inquiries from local newspapers, and television/radio stations.
Walla Walla is a wonderful community that has enthusiastically supported the Sweets (in record numbers), ever since our inaugural season in 2010. With the highest average per-season attendance of any team in the WCL over the past five seasons, we are seeking a broadcaster whose personality can mirror the enthusiasm of fans every single night of the season. Are you that person? Then keep reading and apply below!
Applicants must provide the following in addition to their resume to be considered:
1. At least (3) play-by-play audio samples, with a strong preference given to baseball calls
2. (3) writing samples, with one in each of the following formats:
a. AP Format (press release)
b. Article format
c. Blog format
3. (1) example of work in either Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc) or Microsoft Publisher
4. Any other multi-media samples that will help distinguish you from other applicants
5. Proof of valid passport (or the ability to get one, such as a valid driver’s license and social security card)
- At least (2) years of radio play-by-play experience at the collegiate or pro level is required, with experience in baseball given high priority
- Have a current and working knowledge of broadcast equipment, both analog and digital – you are your own IT guy on the road
- Possess a strong multi-platform writing ability – AP format, article format, blog and conversational format, etc
- Have experience with video and audio editing software
- Show an understanding of and proficiency in using social media applications, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest and others
- Exhibit experience with content management systems, such as websites, back-door statistical sites, mobile application management, etc
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and preference to candidates with experience working with Adobe Creative Suite
- Display the ability to multi-task
- Must work comfortably with abnormal hours, including travel with the team
- Must maintain a professional presentation – you are an ambassador of the team in the community and on the road!
- This position requires a team player, familiar and comfortable with the game of baseball, and capable of pitching in when the need arises, even if it isn’t a media or radio need
- Display the ability to work closely with players and coaches, maintaining a professional manner within those relationships
- Must possess a valid US Passport (for border crossings into Canada.
- Projects begin as soon as hired
- Must be available to be in market no later than May 15, 2014
- Must be able to stay in market through the end of the season (no earlier than August 25, 2013
- Lead PXP voice over a full summer season – great resume builder
- Host Family will be provided
- Compensation based on experience
- Hotel and per diem expenses are provided while traveling with the team